The Erasmus Mundus PhD Scholarships are annually awarded scholarships from the Erasmus Mundus Consortia. They award up to 250 individuals with scholarships to undertake Erasmus Mundus doctorate training.
What are the Erasmus Mundus Scholarships?
This scholarship scheme is generously funded by the European Commission with the intentions of encouraging the mobility of applicants. It also focuses on attracting the most talented students to study within the United Kingdom. The scholarship scheme helps to promote partnerships between universities within the UK and other universities around the world. This scholarship scheme is a separate entity from the Erasmus exchange program that many undergraduates have the opportunity to experience.
Universities may apply for specialized Erasmus Mundus funding as part of a university partnership which awards multiple doctorate degrees. Each institution that becomes part of the consortia must demonstrate that they can provide the most in academic experiences and professional training.
How Does Erasmus Mundus Apply Towards PhD Students?
The Erasmus Mundus is divided into two different scholarship schemes.
Action 1: This consists of Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate programs that focuses on a specific research theme.
- The Consortium or partnership of universities consist of a minimum of three different European countries.
- Non EU partners may be included in the consortium
- Scholarships are available for European Students as well as Third Country residents
This action allows applicants to take a more structured doctorate program and benefits European countries.
Action 2: This scholarship scheme works to reach a wider base. There is no specific PhD program and is open for applicants in Europe and additional countries. These scholarships are awarded for graduating and non-graduating students.
This action allows applicants the opportunity to help develop other countries.
PhD Scholarships Award: These scholarships includes:
- Tuition fee coverage
- Health insurance coverage
- Travel allowances
- Monthly living allowance. The amount awarded reflects the cost of living in the area that you are conducting your studies in.
- Additional funding is made available for applicants that are responsible for dependents such as spouses and/or children.
Scholarship Duration: The Erasmus Mundus is set to last for a duration of three to four years and covers the full duration of the PhD program.
Scholarship Deadlines: With the Erasmus Mundus scholarship schemes deadlines are between the months of November-February. Applicants wishing to be considered should apply for these scholarships prior to the start of their doctoral studies.
How to Apply for the Erasmus Mundus PhD Scholarships?
In order to apply for either Action 1 or Action 2 scholarships the applicant must start by applying through the program website.
Action 1: Below are the simple steps to apply for this opportunity
- Identify your program of choice and the participating institutes
- Ensure compliance with any guidelines and selection criteria
- Research scholarships and additional funding opportunities
- Submit all academic requirements
- Finish and submit your online application
Action 2: Below are the simple steps for applying to Action 2 scholarships
- Ensure all you fit all guidelines and criteria
- Research the mobility opportunities
- Select the host school
- PhD scholarships and additional funding opportunities
- Submit all academic requirements
- Finish and submit your online application.